Obesity "Culture" US style
|Upon enjoying the reading about the mouth watering, sumptuous foods eaten in Bible-time Egypt and Imperial China, how do you feel about these facts of 21st century America ?|
- One of three has either diabetes or pre-diabetes (Metabolic syndrome)
If you are surprised then the following facts help to explain these statistics:
- Cancer is now the number one cause of death
- 90% of the money Americans spend on food is for processed foods
- The number one source of calories in America is the sugar in sodas
- In a typical year the average Americans consumes:
- Over 56 gallons (≥ 200 liter) of soda
- This year nearly five billion prescriptions will be filled in the United States that is 18 per person!
- 74% of Americans are on at least one prescription drug – an increase from 67% in year 2000.
The emergence of the Standard American Diet “SAD”
The United States is certainly the World leader in propagating decadent food and it has found willing adopters throughout the developed World. In fact so much that Wikipedia
re-designated the term SAD to “Western pattern diet” which is characterized by high intakes of red meat
, sugary desserts
, high fat, and refined grains
It also typically contains high-fat dairy products
, high-sugar drinks, and eggs
Here is the AVERAGE AMERICAN DIET
according to the U.S. National Institute of HealthBreakfast
- 1 egg scrambled in 1 teaspoon of butter
- 1 ham and cheese sandwich (2 ounces of meat, 1 ounce of cheese)
- 3 ounces of broiled sirloin
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of peas, 1/2 teaspoon of butter
Totals: 2,000 Calories, 84 grams fat, 34 grams saturated fat, 425 milligrams cholesterol. The diet is 38% total fat, 15% saturated fat.
LOW FAT DIET
For the same number of calories, a low-fat diet provides 190 mg of cholesterol, compared to 510 mg of cholesterol for an average American diet. Because fat is high in calories, the low-fat diet actually has more food than the typical American diet. An example follows:
- 1 cup of toasted oat ring cereal
- 1 slice of whole-wheat bread
- 1 cinnamon raisin bagel, 1/2 ounce light cream cheese
- Turkey sandwich (3 ounces of turkey) on rye bread with lettuce
- 3 ounces of broiled chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon of nonfat yogurt
Totals: 2,000 Calories, 38g fat, 9.5g saturated fat, 91mg cholesterol. The diet is 17% fat, 4% saturated fat.
NOTE: The low-fat diet example is too low in fat for small children to promote good growth. In addition, it may be difficult for them to eat such a large volume of food. Children should have a diet that is closer to 30% of calories from fat. Lower-fat diets may be appropriate in some children. Ask your doctor what is best for you.
So much for the NIH recommendations.
As we know, this ultra-bland food culture has failed to make us healthy and it has even failed in curing the obesity problem. Most of these foods are highly processed, loaded with toxins, hormones, antibiotics, sugar and HFCS and – finally – who wants to sit down with friends and family and “enjoy” a meal of mostly “dead” food with no enzymes and no taste, but lacking essential nutrients – and pleasure!
Don’t we all wish we would have lived a few thousand years earlier?
最終更新日 ( 2011/06/30 Thursday 20:14:01 MDT )